New capability through collaboration and innovation
This month I have trying out a new CNC router machine to increase the range of what we can produce at MJA-WOOD.
This all started with a idea for the #Kierwtb Kierwherestgebear charity event with the idea to design and manufacture a go cart using technology already used in Kier and collaborating with designers, supply chain and business unit to raise awareness and increase collaboration.
It has been a fascinating experience with lots learnt :-
- practice makes perfect as with anything new
- you need to start with the finished product in mind
- designing to the capabilities of the machine ( I.e to spec)
- learning what machine to use for which piece in the manufacturing process
- working with and learning new software applications
- close collaboration with the designers
- using colloboration platforms to exchange information in this case bimxtra from Clearbox ( I use it in my role in construction )
This event has made a huge contribution to the charity and has also enabled mjawood to see the art of the possible to increase capability.